Make text so simple it can be understood the first time it is read.
What We Do
- We train AI to simplify text.
- We do all we can not to teach AI our biases.
How We Do It
- Operationalize plain-language guidelines for AI to simplify text.
- Test if people understand simplified text more than typical text.
- Include people with intellectual disabilities as expert testers.
Who Is Doing It
- John Rochford, Director, INDEX Program, Eunice Kennedy Shriver Center; and Faculty, University of Massachusetts Medical School; and
- The Amazing Staff of the INDEX Program